Deciding to build a new construction home is a huge commitment. Not only is it likely the largest investment you’ll make in your lifetime, it’s also the place where you and your family will live and create memories for a lifetime to come—which is why your new home should be perfectly tailored to you and the ones you love. So how do you decide which custom home builder is the best choice to bring your dream home to life? Here are some tips for how to choose the perfect home builder.
Make a List of Possible Builders
After you’ve outlined a general idea of the type of home and features you want built, you’re ready to amass a list of potential partners to help you get there. Here are some of the best ways to narrow down your search to a trusted, quality list of homebuilding experts:
- Get in touch with your local home builders’ association for a pre-made list of builders in your area. You can also reach out to the Homeowners for Better Building (HOBB), another resource for finding custom home builders.
- Ask friends and family for recommendations of builders they’ve worked with personally for trusted referrals.
- Contact local real estate agents to assist you in your search for local home builders that will meet your specifications and price range.
- Check your local newspaper’s real estate section. You’ll notice the names of popular home builders in the ads and listings, and because many of them will include budgets and specific features, you’ll be able to tell whether or not they’d be a good addition to your list.
Roll Up Your Sleeves and Do Your Homework
Now that you have a solid list of potential builders to work with, it’s time to do some sleuthing to narrow down the choices.
- First, contact each home builder individually with a list of questions related to budget, customization options, project timeline, and location. Interview potential home builders to get the answers to all the questions you have about new construction homes. A serious and trustworthy home builder understands the magnitude of such a large-scale project and will respond to your questions as personally and helpfully as possible.
- Next, visit the homes or subdivisions of the home builders who seem to best align with what you’re looking for. Take a leisurely drive so that you can take photos and notes on each and compare them later. Don’t be shy about asking questions from any of the homeowners, especially if they’re already outside working in the yard and seem friendly. Because you don’t know them, their opinions about their experience with the home builder will be unbiased, and therefore more realistic and trustworthy.
Communication and Transparency Are Key
Just as you would at the beginning of any new relationship, pay attention to the interactions you have when you meet or speak with a potential home builder. The best builders are good communicators and will be honest and transparent about the project timeline and cost. They’ll do their best to answer all of your questions, no matter how seemingly insignificant, and will even encourage you to continue asking questions along the way. If you come across a builder who seems to be withholding information or reluctant to answer your questions in a helpful way, it’s time to move to the next builder on the list.
Starting from scratch on building the home of your dreams? We know how overwhelming new construction homes can seem. But here at Paradisa Homes, we make the process as simple and stress-free as possible, with complete transparency and expertise. Our priority is to bring your unique vision to life. Contact us to learn how our architects and designers can help you build your new forever home.