There’s nothing quite like the feeling of moving into a new home. As a fresh start full of new opportunities and the future ahead, it’s so exciting that you can’t help but want to celebrate — and share it with your loved ones, too. Once the move and unpacking are done, it’s the perfect time to invite over all your friends, family, and neighbors to show off your new space to those you love most.
First and foremost, a housewarming party isn’t a black-tie event, nor is it the time to spend a fortune on upscale decor and an extravagant menu — unless that’s what you really prefer. A housewarming party is the celebration of home, which means creating memories and being with those you care about most, so don’t feel pressured to make this a Pinterest-worthy affair. Here are some ideas that will make for a festive and memorable occasion as you share and celebrate your new home.
Have a Potluck
There’s no better way to ensure an exciting menu and get people talking like a potluck. Ask your guests to bring their favorite dishes and sides to share, or supply the dinner yourself and ask them to bring an assortment of desserts and beverages. It’ll be fun talking with old friends and new neighbors about their dishes, and make sure to encourage everyone to swap recipes. Food is the best way to the heart, especially when it’s been lovingly baked and cooked to share, so what better way to unite your guests?
Host an Open House
For a more traditional option, set aside a block of time during which you’ll keep your house open to visitors who come and go as they please. Because this works with the schedules of your guests, you’ll want to keep food and drinks out in the open and ready to consume without fuss. Guests can mingle and take a tour of your new home at their own speed.
Impress with Your Decor
Balloons and streamers are always a fun way to add some party pizazz to a space, but this isn’t a celebration for a birthday; it’s a celebration of your new home. Take that theme and run with it, adding decor elements that speak to and reflect the home. Here are some ideas:
- String together leftover paint swatches for a colorful handmade banner.
- Store utensils and condiments in old paint buckets (just make sure to clean them out first).
- Turn your wheelbarrow into a cooler — just fill with ice and store your drinks!
- Use flower pots or small buckets — clean, of course — to hold snacks or favors.
Sure, beer and cocktails are a must for any party, but it’s never as fun without games. Stick to the housewarming theme with these fun ideas:
- Home scavenger hunt. Send guests off with a list of questions to answer, such as “What color is the tile in the master bedroom bathroom?” and “Is the stove top electric or gas?”
- Home trivia. You can make this game about your home, or even ask questions about your town or city and see who knows the area best.
- Room recall. Take all of your guests into one room and allow them one minute to look around and memorize it as best they can. Then, quickly move to another room and see who can correctly answer the most questions, such as “What pattern is the rug,” “What is the first word in the quote hanging on the wall?” or “How many times did you see the color red?”
Don’t Labor Over the Food
Remember, housewarming parties are best when cozy and informal, so feel free to skip the elaborate sit-down meal. If you don’t opt for a potluck, try something easy that won’t involve lots of preparation or cleanup time. After all, you want to spend your time with your guests, not in the kitchen. Here are some delicious and fuss-free options that are easy to eat when not sitting at a table:
- Taco bar
- Finger foods such as fruits and veggies with pita with dips, spring rolls, fritters, etc.
- Dessert and drink bar
- Charcuterie-type foods like meats, cheese, and crackers
Remember, your home is the star of this party, so do your best to show it off. Take your guests on a tour and explain the purpose and some interesting details about each room. You can also show before-and-after photos of your home during its construction phase versus now, when it’s customized the way you’ve been planning for so long.
If you’re still in the dreaming and planning phase of a new home to call your own and looking for a premier house builder, we’re here to help bring your unique vision to life. At Paradisa Homes, we’re new home builders who will guide you through every step of the building process. We’re passionate about designing and building a home that looks and feels uniquely you — contact us to get started.